After testing a virtual machine in VirtualBox, I decided to move to a different hypervisor. I removed the VirtualBox tools and after rebooting, I could no longer use my mouse. The following devices showed up with yellow exclamation marks in Windows XP.
HID-compliant mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse
After much research, I could not find a solution online. In the end, I managed to fix the issue on my own. Here is what I did to resolve this issue.
- Open regedit as an administrator.
- Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then SYSTEM.
- Click on CurrentControlSet.
- Search for “mouse”. The first entry returned should have a string for “UpperFilters”. If it is not there, repeat the search until you see an entry for “UpperFilters”.
- Double-click UpperFilters and remove the reference to the VBox driver. It should only say “mouclass” at this point.
- Click ok to complete the changes.
At this time, your mouse should be working again.